SIGN UP for our newsletter ✉️ :

Get the latest stories delivered straight to you

Boy, 7, died after being crushed between cars while changing boots after rugby match

Alfie Tollett, seven, died after being crushed between two vehicles at a rugby club in Plymouth, Devon.

Tributes have been paid to 'cheeky, funny and precious' Alfie Tollett (pictured). See SWNS story SWLNrugby; A seven year old boy died after being crushed in a car park after a rugby match - as he was changing out of his boots. Tragic youngster Alfie Tollett had just watched his brother play in a match at his local club and was switching to his trainers when he was crushed between two cars, a coroner heard. At the opening of his inquest, Plymouth coroner's court, a statement was read outlining details of Alfie's death. It read:
Alfie Tollett died after being crushed between two cars outside a rugby club in Plymouth, Devon. (SWNS)

A seven-year-old boy died after being crushed between two cars while changing out of his boots after a rugby match, an inquest has heard.

Alfie Tollett had just watched his brother play in a match at his local club in Plymouth, Devon, and was putting his shoes back on when he was wedged between two vehicles.

Alfie was standing behind his family's vehicle when a parked car collided with him after being "shunted" by an electric vehicle that was attempting to park, the inquest was told.

He had been watching his brother play at Plymstock Albion Oaks Rugby Club in Plymouth on 19 February. Alfie was taken to hospital but died later.

At the opening of his inquest, coroner Ian Arrow said: "(Alfie) was stood at the rear of the family car changing his boots for his shoes after watching his brother play rugby.

"A stationary vehicle parked behind the family vehicle was then struck by another electrically propelled vehicle that was attempting to park; this vehicle has shunted forward the parked vehicle and crushed Alfie between the two vehicles.

"Alfie was conveyed to Derriford Hospital, but sadly passed away."

His official cause of death was given at the short hearing as blunt force traumatic chest injuries.

Police are appealing for witnesses and dashcam footage.

A 55-year-old man arrested on suspicion of dangerous driving has been released on bail until May.

Read more: Three people dead and two in hospital after going missing on night out in Cardiff

Alfie Tollett was crushed between two cars at Plymstock Albion Oaks Rugby Club in Plymouth, Devon, last month. (Google)

In a statement released in the days after his death, his family said: "This has to be one of the hardest things we have had to do as a family.

"On Sunday, our precious little Alfie was involved in a horrible incident where sadly he lost his life.

“This has left a massive hole in our whole family. Our Alfie was not just our son and brother, but also a grandson, a cousin, a nephew and a friend to so many people.

“He was our special cheeky, funny and precious little man. Our hearts are completely broken. We are so numb and are struggling to understand why this has happened.

“We would like to thank you for the kind words of support we have received.

“To our Alfie moos, we miss you sweetheart and we will never ever forget you. Fly high our baby. Thank you for the best seven years of our lives. All our love, Mummy, Daddy, Jack and Teddy.”

Paying tribute on Facebook, Plymstock Oaks RFC, where Alfie was a member, said: "It is with deep shock and sadness that we regret to inform you of the tragic loss of a young life of one of our own today.

"Our deepest condolences go out to the family and their friends during this difficult time. Our thoughts and prayers are with you all."

Devon and Cornwall Police said: "Officers continue to make enquiries to establish the circumstances of the collision, which happened at around 11.10am on Wembury Road, near the Plymstock Albion Oaks Rugby Club.

"A 55-year-old man from Plymouth was arrested on suspicion of causing death by careless driving. He has been released on police bail to return on Saturday 20 May.

"If you witnessed the incident or have any information or dashcam footage that could help with enquiries, please contact police by calling 101 quoting reference number 50230040392."