Boy chews on dead spider 'tucked in' Coles chicken

Melissa Buttigieg
News Reporter


A grossed-out Brisbane boy bit into a chicken thigh from a Coles supermarket to find he was chewing on a dead spider, his mother claims.

Fiona McKinnon said she bought a packet of RSPCA approved chicken thighs from the Browns Plains supermarket last Thursday and baked the cuts in the oven.

A grossed-out Brisbane boy bit into a chicken thigh from Coles to find he was chewing on a dead spider, his mother claims. Source: Fiona McKinnon/Facebook

After serving up the chicken for the family meal, the mum said her son tasted something not quite right. He then pulled out a part of a spider that was “tucked” underneath one of the fillets, according to the woman.

“While we were eating, my son found part of a spider tucked in on the underside of one of his fillets,” Ms McKinnon wrote in a post on the Coles Facebook page on Tuesday.

“It must have been tucked in there good as I did not notice it at all during the cooking process!” she wrote, sharing several pictures of the chicken beside a dead spider’s body and chewed up legs.

Ms McKinnon was sure the creepy crawly didn’t come from anywhere else, saying no other insects made their way into any other meals.

The mum says her boy had chewed on a dead spider that was ‘tucked’ underneath one of the chicken fillets. Source: Fiona McKinnon/Facebook

“Sure enough to say, my boy was put off his meal completely and I will be inspecting every piece of meat I buy from now on,” she wrote on the post.

A Coles spokesperson confirmed to Yahoo7 News Wednesday morning the company has been in contact with the customer.

“Coles takes the quality of all our products seriously and has spoken to the customer to follow up their complaint,” the supermarket said in a statement.

“As always we encourage customers to return any item they’re not 100% happy with to their nearest store for a full refund or replacement.”

Fiona McKinnon said she bought a packet of RSPCA approved chicken thighs from a Brisbane supermarket and baked the cuts in the oven. Source: Fiona McKinnon/Facebook

Other gross finds in chicken

The find comes weeks after a horrified Adelaide mother discovered what appeared to be maggots in Woolworths chicken she had just fed to her children.

Earlier this month a Sydney man has had his lunch ruined after he claims to have found a leftover feather still attached to his chicken.

A Queensland woman earlier this year got the shock of her life when she unwrapped her KFC chicken only to find an insect embedded in it.

Do you have a story tip? Email: y7newsroom@yahoo7.com.au.

You can also follow us on Facebook and Twitter and stay up to date with the latest news with Yahoo7’s daily newsletter. Sign up here.