Boy, 6, dies after drinking a cup of popular energy drink

·2-min read

A six-year-old boy has died after reportedly consuming a glass of Monster Energy drink.

The tragic incident took place when the youngster was visiting his grandma's house in Matamoros, north-eastern Mexico, on April 16.

According to reports, young Francisco Cervantes saw a glass on the table filled with Monster Energy - an energy drink - and gulped it down to quench his thirst.

He immediately began to experience discomfort and was taken by his relatives to the local Alfredo Pumarejo Hospital.

Francisco Cervantes, 6, reportedly died after drinking an energy drink, in Matamoros, Mexico, in April 2022. Source: Newsflash
Francisco Cervantes, 6, reportedly died after drinking an energy drink, in Matamoros, Mexico, in April 2022. Source: Newsflash

After admission, he was diagnosed with intoxication and, later, brain death.

He spent six days hospitalised in a coma, as his mother, Jessica, initially refused to allow him to be disconnected from his artificial life support machine.

"I thank all those who came to offer us their support," the bereaved mum later said.

"Unfortunately, my son couldn't take it anymore. Right now we're going to see about the funeral expenses to give him his Christian burial."

Various health professionals and services, including the UK's NHS, advise that young children should not consume energy drinks, which are often high in caffeine and sugar.

Francisco Cervantes was in hospital for six days before he died. Source: Source: Newsflash
Francisco Cervantes was in hospital for six days before he died. Source: Source: Newsflash

It was not reported if young Francisco had any known pre-existing health conditions.

Yahoo News Australia has contacted Monster regarding the boy's death.

As reported in a 2019 study, the US Food and Drug Administration said there had been 34 deaths attributed into energy drinks, thus warranting investigation into their safety.

The study, titled 'Impact of High Volume Energy Drink Consumption on Electrocardiographic and Blood Pressure Parameters: A Randomised Trial', reported that "energy drink consumption has been associated with cardiac arrest, myocardial infarction, spontaneous coronary dissection, and coronary vasospasm".

Do you have a story tip? Email: newsroomau@yahoonews.com.

You can also follow us on Facebook, Instagram, TikTok and Twitter and download the Yahoo News app from the App Store or Google Play.

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting