'Worst I've ever seen': Aussie boxer fights on with 'horrific' injury

Chris Young
·Sports Reporter
·3-min read
Australian boxer Banjamin Hussain is pictured being examined by the fight doctor during his fight against Ben Mahoney.
Australian boxer Banjamin Hussain fought five rounds with a broken jaw before his bout against Ben Mahoney was stopped by the fight doctor. Picture: Fox Sports

The Australian boxing world was left shocked after a fighter carried on for five rounds after his opponent broke his jaw.

Benjamin Hussain took on Ben Mahoney in the undercard for Justis Huni and Faiga Opelu’s heavyweight championship bout in Brisbane on Thursday evening, but came off second best in the second round.

'PATHETIC': UFC fighter sparks outrage with 'F*** LeBron' shirt

‘EXTREMELY TROUBLING’: Photo exposes boxing judge 'disgrace'

A vicious left hook from Mahoney sent the previously undefeated Hussain’s mouthguard flying from his mouth, but the 21-year-old carried on.

The brutal shot left blood streaming from Hussain’s mouth and led commentators to speculate over the possibility he had a lacerated tongue.

There appeared to be doubts over whether Hussain would continue after the fifth round, but the fight doctor called an end to the bout in the sixth after his corner refused to throw in the towel.

Despite Hussain’s protests, the doctor couldn’t have been more blunt in his diagnosis.

“Your jaw is broken mate. I mean it’s badly broken, we’ve got to stop it,” he said.

Ben Damon, on commentary for the fight fo Fox Sports, described Hussain’s injury as ‘horrific’, but praised the young fighter after the bout for his toughness.

“What we think we saw with his mouth did not look good. We thought it might have been a cut tongue or laceration inside the mouth,” he said.

“But it is a broken jaw and with that being said, Benjamin Hussain has shown he’s otherworldly tough.

“He’s gone through the vast majority of this fight with what appears to be a very, very badly damaged mouth and jaw.”

Justise Huni makes Aussie boxing history

He's no household name but Justis Huni may soon change that after making Australian boxing history in Brisbane.

The 21-year-old became the first Australian male boxer to claim a national heavyweight title on professional debut after emerging triumphant against reigning champ Faiga Opelu (13-1-2, 10 KO record) with a seventh-round stoppage.

"It feels bloody amazing, to do it on debut is incredible," Huni said after the scheduled 10-round bout.

"This is only the beginning and you will be seeing a lot more of me."

It was impressive stuff - but if all goes to plan Huni is only just getting started.

A super heavyweight bronze medallist at the 2019 amateur world titles, Huni has not only qualified for the Tokyo Olympics in that weight division but has been touted as Australian boxing's best hope for gold if the Games go ahead next year.

Justis Huni is pictured landing a punch against Faiga Opelu.
Justise Huni defeated Faiga Opelu on his professional debut to claim the Australian heavyweight title. (Photo by Chris Hyde/Getty Images)

Huni is still able to contest Tokyo as an amateur as long as he only contests up to 10 pro bouts ahead of the 2021 Games.

He has made it clear he wants gold in Japan but it pales in comparison to his bold plans in the professional ranks.

Huni's dream is to not only win the world heavyweight crown but unify the titles - a quest that has already been fast-tracked thanks to his association with promoter Dean Lonergan, who was behind Jeff Horn’s rapid rise to boxing fame.

With AAP

Click here to sign up to our newsletter for all the latest and breaking stories from Australia and around the world.