Bond for NSW mum after boy, 2, ate drugs

Lucy Hughes Jones

A mother has been given a good-behaviour bond after her toddler ate her boyfriend's drug stash in Sydney's west.

The two-year-old boy had to be airlifted to hospital in December 2016 with suspected poisoning, with tests later confirming the child had consumed illicit drugs.

His 37-year-old mother was sentenced on Tuesday to a two-year bond in Penrith Local Court, which heard her failure to disclose what her son had ingested delayed his life-saving treatment.

Doctors were originally told the gravely ill toddler had ingested paint thinner at his South Penrith home when he arrived at Nepean Hospital on December 8, police alleged.

The boy was flown to Sydney Children's Hospital at Randwick after his condition worsened but the now three-and-half-year old has made a full recovery.

Magistrate Stephen Corry said the remorseful mum, who cannot be identified for legal reasons, was "less than forthcoming" to doctors.

"It would have delayed the treatment," he said.

In May the woman pleaded guilty to failing to provide for her child, causing danger or death, and at that time police also took out an interim AVO against her on behalf of her son.

She was fined $500 after pleading guilty to possessing goods suspected of being stolen, while a charge of failing to stop at a red traffic light was withdrawn.