Body found in Norway landslide hunt

·1-min read

Rescuers have recovered one body, two days after a landslide in southern Norway swept away at least nine buildings, police say, with nine people still missing.

Another 10 people were injured after Wednesday's landslide in the village of Ask in the Gjerdrum municipality, about 30km north of the capital, Oslo.

"One person has been found. Unfortunately this person is confirmed dead," the head of the police operation at the site, Roy Alkvist, said.

He declined to give any details of the person.

Emergency workers are continuing their search in what Bjoern Nuland, head of the health team at the site, said was still viewed as a rescue operation.

A search-and-rescue team from neighbouring Sweden is assisting.

Some 1,000 people have so far been evacuated from Gjerdrum, including 46 people from an area 2km away from the landslide, after cracks were observed in the ground.

The landslide and the rescue effort have gripped the Nordic nation of 5.4 million.

King Harald, 83, said at the start of his traditional New Year's Eve speech on Thursday that the "tragic event leaves a deep impression on us all".

"I feel with you who go in the New Year with grief and uncertainty," he said.

"With you who have lost your homes, and who are right now despairing and do not see the way forward."