Murder victim's skull 'crushed' with bat

·3-min read

Three hits with a baseball bat and a crushed skull were enough to kill Darren Royce Willis in 2010, a witness to the alleged murder has said.

Giving evidence in the murder trial of Bruce Anthony Coss, 49, on Thursday, crown witness Scott Marle described what happened in the dark outside Coss's home in Bingara, NSW late one night in December 2010.

Marle said Coss had hit Mr Willis in the knee first, bringing him down, and then had clipped his head, taking off his ear with the second blow.

"The third and final hit was when I was screaming and he's crushed his skull as far as I'm aware," Marle told the NSW Supreme Court in Moree.

Justice Hament Dhanji also heard recorded phone conversations in which Marle claimed that blood had been seen in a yellow Ford ute owned by Coss which was allegedly used to carry Mr Willis's body away after the incident.

Marle told the court that the blood was seen when Coss sold his ute some time after the alleged murder.

"One of the boys said, 'Oh, what's with all the blood?'," Marle said.

Coss then was claimed to have blamed the blood on pig chasing.

He is accused of murdering Mr Willis with a modified wooden baseball bat outside his Bingara home. He has pleaded not guilty to the charge.

Marle was arrested in October 2020 and was convicted of concealing the alleged murder in May 2021 after pleading guilty. He received a discounted sentence of an intensive correction order in exchange for assisting the police with the investigation.

In the phone calls with Marle, Coss is heard blaming another eyewitness Robert Stonestreet of laying the blame on him for Mr Willis's disappearance in order to receive a $350,000 reward from the NSW Police for information on the alleged murder.

"All me life, I've been blamed for s*** around this town and I'm over it," Coss said.

He denied being involved in the alleged incident, claiming that on that night in December, he went out, got drunk and had a "good f***ing time" before coming home to sleep.

In a separate conversation with Stonestreet, Marle claimed Coss had threatened to kill again after the incident but had turned around and said he wasn't serious.

He described rumours that Coss had "knocked someone off" previously, piling them into a blue plastic drum and dumping the body in a dam.

Mr Stonestreet denied being out on the street with Coss during the incident with Mr Willis, but said if he did have concrete evidence of the crime, he'd approach the police for the reward money.

On Wednesday, Marle told the court that Coss had killed Mr Willis with the baseball bat after a night of drinking and smoking weed, and that jokes about a hypothetical confrontation turned fatal.

When Marle asked about the reason behind the attack, Coss allegedly said Willis was going to dob him in at work for selling marijuana. In a later conversation, Coss claimed he attacked Willis because of something he'd said or done at school.

The hearing continues.

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting