Bizarre object found lodged in mum’s throat after nine years

·2-min read

A birthday-cake candle holder almost cost a mum her baby after she accidentally breathed it in and it got lodged in her windpipe, staying there undiscovered for the next nine years.

Mum-of-one Nuray Lutfiye Kalayci, 22, accidentally inhaled in the candle holder while eating a piece of cake at a relative's birthday party.

She thought she had passed the object over time, but a year-and-a-half ago the then-pregnant Kalayci visited a hospital in Manisa, Turkey, complaining of shortness of breath.

Nuray Lutfiye Kalayci, 22, who swallowed a plastic candle holder which got stuck in her windpipe.
Nuray, 22, accidentally inhaled in the item while eating a piece of cake at a relative's birthday party. Source: Newsflash/Australscope

During examinations, doctors detected a problem in her lung and recommended she terminate her pregnancy so she could start treatment.

But Kalayci was determined to have her child and so she decided to postpone it.

After she gave birth, the mum was admitted urgently to the Dr Suat Seren Pulmonary Diseases and Thoracic Surgery Training and Research Hospital in Izmir.

Thoracic surgeon Dr Banu Yoldas surgically removed the two-centimetre-long candle holder that had been lodged in the woman's trachea for around nine years.

The plastic candle holder which got stuck in the windpipe of Nuray Lutfiye Kalayci, 22.
Thoracic surgeon Dr Banu Yoldas surgically removed the two-centimetre-long candle holder. Source: Newsflash/Australscope

"My patient's lung had adhered to the chest wall due to the infections she had," Dr Yoldas said.

"I had to remove these adhesions before the surgery.

"A serious infection had occurred in the clogged airway, causing the middle and lower parts of her right lung to no longer function."

Dr Banu Yoldas shows the x-ray image of Nuray Lutfiye Kalayci, 22, who swallowed a plastic candle holder.
It took Dr Yoldas four hours to remove the holder. Source: Newsflash/Australscope

The surgeon added: "I removed the plastic object used in cake candles from my patient's trachea in a four-hour operation.

"My patient began to breathe easily. We are planning to discharge her soon."

Kalayci said that although she was more worried about her baby than herself during the ordeal, she was happy to regain her own health.

Dr Yoldas recommended that anyone who experiences shortness of breath consult a doctor.

Australscope

Do you have a story tip? Email: newsroomau@yahoonews.com.

You can also follow us on Facebook, Instagram, TikTok and Twitter and download the Yahoo News app from the App Store or Google Play.

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting