Biden, Trump agree to election debates in June and September

Joe Biden and Donald Trump agreed Wednesday to hold presidential debates in June and September after the Democratic incumbent challenged his rival to "make my day" and the scandal-plagued Republican replied he was ready to "rumble."

News channel CNN announced it will hold the first debate on June 27 in Atlanta, Georgia. Trump and Biden later said they had agreed on a second debate to be hosted by broadcaster ABC on September 10.

The agreement ends months of uncertainty over whether the candidates would debate at all, and sees both the Democrat and the Republican shunning the traditional commission that has run debates since 1988.

Biden, 81, set out his own terms including having no studio audience, seeking to avoid a repeat of the often chaotic debates with political showman Trump in the 2020 election.

Trump, 77, accepted the dates even as he set out a starkly different vision with a larger venue for "excitement purposes" while his campaign called for adding debates in July and August.

"Donald Trump lost two debates to me in 2020. Since then, he hasn't shown up for a debate. Now he's acting like he wants to debate me again. Well, make my day, pal," Biden said in a video on X.

Biden trolled Trump over his ongoing hush money trial in New York, which features a mid-week break, adding: "I hear you're free on Wednesdays."

Announcing he'd accepted the ABC invitation, Biden added: "Trump says he'll arrange his own transportation. I'll bring my plane, too. I plan on keeping it for another four years."

This time, the Biden campaign appeared to be leaving nothing to chance.


Read more on FRANCE 24 English

Read also:
Trump accuses Biden, without evidence, of weaponising justice system
Trump cancels first rally since New York trial began due to bad weather
Trump 'wants to take America back to the 1800s' on abortion, says VP Harris