- 4 eggs
- ¼ Cup vegetable oil
- ¾ Cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 2 cups plain flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- 4 cups of carrot, grated
- 1/3 cup sultanas
- 50g walnuts, roughly chopped
- 10 walnuts
- 500g cream cheese, room temperature
- 100g unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2/3 cup icing sugar, sifted
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pre-heat oven to 180℃. Butter, and line two 23cm cake tins with baking paper.
- In a large bowl, sift together the flour, sugar, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt and set aside.
- In another bowl beat the eggs with an electric mixer until they are pale and frothy. With the mixer going slowly pour in the oil followed by the melted butter and the vanilla.
- Add the dry ingredients to the eggs and mix to combine with a wooden spoon. Fold in the carrots, sultanas and walnuts and divide the mixture evenly between the two cake tins.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes and allow to cool to room temperature.
- To make the frosting beat the cream cheese and butter together with an electric mixer until smooth. Slowly add the icing sugar and stir in the vanilla.
- Turn the cooled cakes out of the cake tins and remove the baking paper. On your serving plate place one cake and spread the frosting generously all over the top then sandwich with the second cake. Spread icing over the top of the cake and finish with whole walnuts around the edge.