Barnaby Joyce will be back at work in two weeks despite a doctor and his party giving him a month off after he dragged his personal life back into the spotlight.
The former deputy prime minister had been granted medical leave until the end of June, meaning he wouldn't be back at parliament until mid-August, after the winter break.
But Mr Joyce on Wednesday said he'll back before the next sitting on June 18.
"Contrary to reports, I'm taking leave until June 15 following a routine check-up. The medical certificate provided allowed for a month," Mr Joyce tweeted on Wednesday.
"I look forward to resuming parliamentary duties. The electorate office will continue normal operations in this fortnight."
Nationals leader Michael McCormack confirmed Mr Joyce presented a medical certificate before being given four weeks' paid sick leave.
"I spoke to Barnaby yesterday and wished him well and said if you need me I'm only a phone call away," Mr McCormack told reporters in Canberra on Wednesday.
Mr Joyce's sudden departure comes six weeks after he and staffer-turned-partner Vikki Campion welcomed a baby boy.
The backbencher and his ex-media advisor have been widely criticised after deciding to pocket $150,000 for a television tell-all about their affair.
"Obviously he's been under a fair bit of stress in the last six or 12 months, and he's taking some time with his family, so I can understand that," Nationals frontbencher Darren Chester told ABC radio.
Labor has granted Mr Joyce a voting pair while he is off work.
Mr Joyce has blamed Ms Campion for accepting payment for the Channel Seven interview, while arguing it would not have been necessary if Australia had stronger privacy laws.
"In the last fortnight we've had drones over our house, we've had paparazzi waiting for us outside Armidale airport, we've had people following us to Uralla," Mr Joyce said on Tuesday.
"We tried just burning this out and that didn't work."
The paid interview will be broadcast on Sunday night.
"You can't help who you fall in love with," Ms Campion said in a promotional clip for the Sunday Night program.
Cabinet minister Kelly O'Dwyer believes most Australians are "pretty disgusted" by the interview.
Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull said the interview was "certainly not" something he would have encouraged.
Mr Joyce was bumped to the backbench after his relationship with Ms Campion became public in February. Their son Sebastian was born on April 16.
He has split from his wife Natalie, the mother of his four daughters.