Baker furious after being ordered to stop using 'illegal' sprinkles

·News Reporter
·2-min read

A serious debacle involving sprinkles has whipped up a storm at a bakery in the UK.

Richie Myers, who owns Get Baked, in Leeds, England, is furious over an issue he has dubbed “Sprinklegate” after an unknown customer reported him to trading standards over the illegal use of sprinkles.

The sprinkles contain an additive in the UK known as Erythrosine. 

While it is not banned across the UK, it is only permitted for use in processed cherries, according to the International Association of Color Manufacturers. It is also not permitted for use in confectionery or sauces in Australia or New Zealand.

West Yorkshire Trading Standards confirmed to the BBC it has taken action to ensure the usage of the sprinkles is stopped.

Cookies covered in sprinkles sold at Get Baked in Leeds are pictured.
Get Baked's owner Richie Myers is furious he will have to stop selling some products because of sprinkles he's using. Source: Get Baked via BBC

While the sprinkles might be small, Mr Myers, who is “extremely passionate about sprinkles”, told the BBC it’s a “big deal” and he relies on using a lot of them in many of his cakes and cookies. He added he had bought them from a UK-based wholesaler.

"Our best-selling cookie, we're not going to be able to sell them anymore. For a small independent business that only has a small menu, it's a problem,” he said.

Mr Myers hasn’t held back in his criticism of the ruling on Facebook either, using some language as colourful as the sprinkles.

“It’s actually very f****** annoying, as a lot of people ask for Birthday Bruces and Raspberry Glazed Donut Cookies are not only our best selling cookie, but they’re utterly sensational,” he wrote.

“It is highly unlikely that we will find any legal sprinkles that we will use as a replacement. British sprinkles just aren’t the same, they’re totally s*** and I hate them.”

He wrote it has been a “horrendous ordeal” and he has "genuinely lost sleep" over it.

“My daughter, who is now seven months, has to live with the fact that daddy can’t take her to Disneyland, because man can’t sell any f****** cookies,” Mr Myers wrote.

A study of Erythrosine conducted by the European Food Safety Authority in 2010 found it led to an “increase in the incidence” of thyroid tumours in rats.

In most parts of the world it is considered safe for people to consume so long as it is not eaten in excess.

Do you have a story tip? Email: newsroomau@yahoonews.com.

You can also follow us on Facebook, Instagram, TikTok and Twitter and download the Yahoo News app from the App Store or Google Play.

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting