Bail wait for baby-faced kill plot accused

·2-min read

A baby-faced teen accused of conspiring with others to attempt to murder former Mongols bike Sam Abdulrahim will spend another weekend in custody.

Defence barrister Adam Chernok gave magistrate Donna Bakos a photo of 18-year-old Yasir Al Qassim to hammer home his youth during a bail application on Thursday.

"I'm not using this for any emotive purpose but Your Honour can see from the photograph that he really is very baby-faced," Mr Chernok said.

Al Qassim was charged late last month with the attempted murder of Mr Abdulrahim who was shot on his way home from a burial service in Fawkner on June 25.

Seven shots were fired at the former bikie , with five striking him in the upper body while the Mercedes 4WD he was driving was stopped in traffic.

Two offenders in a stolen car tried to flee but crashed into a pole. One carjacked another vehicle while the other hid in a bin behind a nearby KFC before running away.

Both men fled the country within 48 hours.

It's not alleged Al Qassim, 18, was one of the two offenders but that he was involved in coordinating and arranging the killing.

Prosecutors alleged he drove the offenders to the stolen car used in the shooting and met with them afterwards.

He also allegedly helped the men flee the country, including access to stolen passports.

Given Al Qassim's youthful appearance and his age he would be more vulnerable in custody, Mr Chernok said.

"You can already hear the wolves circling from here," he said.

"In order to protect this young man in custody he would need to go into protection at least ... or some kind of lockdown situation."

A youth justice report found Al Qassim did not need support based on this view but Ms Bakos said that was extraordinary and ordered a fresh assessment.

"I think he screams for help, whether he says he needs it or not," she said.

Earlier the court heard given the intention of the unnamed shooters was to kill Mr Abdulrahim, there are concerns about future attempts on his life.

Mr Chernok said if he was freed on bail Al Qassim could live with his parents or with two of his brothers.

One brother offered Al Qassim a job, while another volunteered $100,000 as a surety to gain the youngster's freedom.

Al Qassim has also offered to abide by strict bail conditions including a curfew, he said.

But prosecutor Glenn Mohammed said there were no conditions that could mitigate him being a flight risk.

"The risk is very real. It can be done - we know this because two people involved in this offending have already done it," he said.

Mr Mohammed said it was possible Mr Abdulrahim would be a witness, but Mr Chernok said there was "no way known" the ex-bikie would give evidence.

Ms Bakos is expected to hand down her decision on Monday.