A man who denies murdering and sexually assaulting his fiancee's 11-month-old daughter has been refused bail by a NSW Supreme Court judge.
The 38-year-old, who cannot be named, is charged with murdering the infant and of having sexual intercourse with her in April 2014 in the NSW Central West while the girl's mother was in hospital.
The Crown alleges on the morning of the murder the man told his partner he would bring the child to visit her in hospital after she'd woken up and he had done some household chores.
Three hours later he drove the child to the emergency wing of a different hospital and called for help, but the girl was unable to be revived.
The man has previously told the judge her death had been an accident, saying she had fallen from a trampoline and hit her head on a concrete tank.
He also said the sex charge was "manufactured" against him, saying there was evidence that her injury could have occurred when the toddler fell onto a toy.
The Crown alleges his accounts are inconsistent with medical records and described the girl's injuries as "highly suspicious".
The man's bail application was based on a number of grounds, including the need for him to look after his sick mother.
"I recognise her condition ... but ultimately I have to consider the way I have assessed the Crown's case," Justice Peter Garling said in the Supreme Court on Wednesday.
He acknowledged the man had been in custody for almost three years, saying it is "far too long for any person to await trial", even on a charge as serious as murder.
But he added the crown prosecutor's case was a "reasonably strong one" and outweighed the application.
The man's trial has been set down to begin in June.