Teens charged over pizza shop rape bailed

Toby Mann

Three teens charged over the alleged sexual assault of a young woman have been granted conditional bail after two of their families agreed to pay sureties.

The 18-year-old woman allegedly took cannabis before she was sexually assaulted in a Sydney pizza shop in October by a 15- and a 17-year-old boy after having consensual sex with another 17-year-old boy, Parramatta Children's Court heard on Monday.

The 15- and 17-year-old have been charged with aggravated sexual assault in company and deprive liberty while the other 17-year-old is facing offences for being an accessory to the alleged crimes.

The court heard the teen on the accessory charge had organised for the woman to come to a pizza shop in Lugano, where the pair had consensual sex before the alleged victim was raped by the two other teens and Ricardo Audish, 38.

The Crown opposed release in all three matters.

The court heard concerns the teens would try to interfere with their alleged victim, would collude to ensure their stories were the same and may not appear at future court dates.

The two 17-year-olds accidentally encountered the woman at Parramatta on December 23 and one allegedly said he would do anything if she dropped the charges, the court heard.

Defence lawyer Elizabeth Nicholson, however, argued the prosecution case was weak and there was nothing to suggest the teens would reoffend or interfere with the woman.

Consent of the alleged victim would be a prominent issue at any subsequent trial, Ms Nicholson said during Monday's brief bail hearing.

Despite the Crown's opposition, the teens, who don't have criminal histories and cannot be identified, were granted bail by Magistrate Terry Murphy, who said concerns could be offset by imposing strict conditions.

"I hope mum and dad understand how seriously the court views kids keeping their bail conditions," Mr Murphy warned.

Under the conditions of the bail the teens must live at home, not leave without being accompanied by a parent, report to police daily and avoid contact with their alleged victim and each other.

The families of the two 17-year-olds also agreed to pay sureties of $1500 and $2000.

All three are due to return to court on March 10.