Backpackers left stranded on island after their blow-up mattress bursts

A group of backpackers were stranded on a Queensland island after an air mattress they used to transport supplies burst.

“This is going to sound silly but me and 3 friends are stranded on Gloucester Island near Airlie Beach because the blow-up mattress we used to get over with all our camping stuff etc has a hole in it and sank,” Max Shkandrij posted on Facebook on September 4.

“Anyone nearby have a boat or something to come get us? We can pay you! Kind Regards in advance.”

The four friends devised the ambitious plan the night before after seeing the island across the water from their camping spot near Hideaway Bay.

They hatched the plan despite the chance of sharks or crocodiles finding their way into the passage of shallow water.

The area is located in ‘Croc Country’, which refers to Queensland waterways north of the Boyne River, according to the Queensland Department of Environment and Science.

The friends were stranded after the blow-up mattress mishap. Source: Facebook/Max Shkandrij

“We were free camping in our van not far from Hideaway Bay and found a nice spot by the beach,” Backpacker Dale Jeffs posted on Facebook.

“Anyway we could see Glouster island (sic) from the beach and only seemed like 1km swim max so we figured we could easy swim it.

“We tested the air mattress on a lake [the] night before and it held the weight of all 4 of us so it would definitely hold the weight of our camping gear food and water.”

On Tuesday, the group waited for low tide and swam for two hours to the island, loading their camping supplies onto the air mattress.

“We were looking over where we swam as sun was going down and seen like 3 sharks so didn’t really want to swim back,” Mr Jeffs posted.

The backpackers were stranded on Gloucester Island. Source: Facebook/Max Shkandrij

Once the group got to Gloucester Island the air mattress they had loaded up was punctured with a “sharp shell” and the backpackers were unable to repair it.

“We tried burning the plastic from various other plastic wrappers but then ended up burning a bigger hole,” Mr Shkandrij posted.

“Tried repairing it melting some plastic but my mate farted as I was doing it and I laughed and poked another massive hole in the mattress with the ember I was using to heat plastic,” Mr Jeffs posted

The group enjoyed this sunset while stranded. Source: Facebook/Max Shkandrij

The original post has received over 1000 likes, sparking mixed reactions from the public, with some calling the group “underprepared muppets”.

“This is either going to end in tragedy or a hilarious news story,” one Facebook user posted.

“Who needs Foxtel with entertainment like this gold,” another user wrote.

A woman named Anne saw the group’s call for help and rescued them the next day.

“Thanks to Anne for coming with her troops to get us!!” Mr Shkandrij posted.

“We are back in Airlie now and we have just picked up several crates of beer and booked into an Airbnb.”

In 2016, four schoolies were rescued from shark-infested waters off Phillip Island while floating on large inflatable animals