A mum has been charged after authorities said her baby died from drinking breast milk that contained drugs.
Samantha Jones’s 11-week-old son was killed by a cocktail of methadone, amphetamine and methylamphetamine passed through the Pennsylvania mum’s breast milk, the Bucks County District Attorney’s office told ABC 13.
The 30-year-old Jones reportedly told authorities she was prescribed methadone for her addiction to painkillers.
It is alleged the mum also told police her son was initially breastfed but had started on formula three days before he died over concerns he was not ingesting enough milk.
The baby had been crying on the morning of April 2 when Jones asked her husband to make up a bottle with formula milk in it.
The mother then woke up to the boy, who was in distress, crying at 7.30am.
The baby was taken to hospital where he was later declared dead.
- ‘What is this idiot doing?’: Reckless motorist filmed driving wrong way down busy highway
- Family thought a squirrel was eating their strawberries – it was something else
- Mum finds python in bedroom – with a huge lump in its stomach
The District Attorney’s office said Jones’s lawyer argued against the US$3 million bail, claiming the death was an accident.
Jones has been charged with criminal homicide.
The mum is due to face court on July 23, Bucks Local News reported.