Baby dies after grandfather gives him alcohol at party

A one-month-old boy reportedly died after his grandfather gave him alcohol at a family party because he was dared to do so.

Friends and family members of the child and his parents were gathered at their family home in Beijing, in China, on July 12 for the infant's full month celebration, traditionally held to bless and celebrate a newborn, when the tragedy took place, Sin Chew Daily reports.

The unnamed infant's paternal grandfather, who was holding the child at the party, proposed a toast when another relative allegedly joked that the grandfather could not take a sip if the baby did not drink first, according to the outlet.

The child was reportedly given one sip of alcohol and later died. Source: File/Getty Images

The elder relative reportedly caved to the taunting and gave the infant a sip of an alcoholic beverage.

Eventually, the baby boy's mother discovered what had happened and took the child back but he had already begun struggling to breathe.

The one-month-old was rushed to a nearby hospital, where he reportedly died.

Even a small amount of alcohol can cause alcohol poisoning in children, leading to serious illness and even death, according to the National Capital Poison Center.

Children's bodies absorb alcohol more quickly than those of adults, which can lead to a more rapid onset of dangerous symptoms associated with drinking.

Alcohol depresses the body's central nervous system and causes a drop in blood glucose (sugar).

Family of the child were taking in a month-long celebration of its birth at the time. Source: File/Getty Images

When the brain is deprived of glucose, it can lead to seizures and comas.

When the central nervous system is affected, breathing, heart rate and blood pressure may slow down to a dangerous or even fatal level.

If a child swallows alcohol, a parent or guardian should immediately call the Poisons Information Line 24 hours a day from anywhere in Australia on 13 11 26.

They should have the name of the alcoholic product, the amount that was consumed, how long ago the incident took place and the child's weight and age.

If the child has collapsed, has suffered a seizure, is having trouble breathing or can't be awakened, it is recommended you call triple-0.

Do you have a story tip? Email: newsroomau@yahoonews.com.

You can also follow us on Facebook, download the Yahoo News app from iTunes or Google Play and stay up to date with the latest news with Yahoo’s daily newsletter. Sign up here.