FIRST HOME BUYER LOANS
State/territory, average loan amount, deposit, increase since 2019
* ACT: $471,161 ($117,790) 24 per cent
* NSW: $513,876 ($128,469) 23 per cent
* NT: $400,000 ($100,000) 20 per cent
* Tasmania: $325,751 ($81,438) 17 per cent
* Victoria: $452,369 ($113,092) 16 per cent
* WA: $371,048 ($92,762) 14 per cent
* Queensland: $383,136 ($95,784) 13 per cent
* SA$342,840 ($85,710) eight per cent
* National Average: $426,971 ($106,743) 16 per cent
Source: Finder, ABS loans data. Assumes a 20 per cent deposit.
HOW TO CRACK THE MARKET:
* CONSIDER 'RENTVESTING' - Buy in an affordable area, rent to live in a desirable locale. If metro prices are out of reach, invest in a regional location.
* GO IN WITH FRIENDS OR FAMILY - Split the purchase price with friends or relatives. It's major financial and legal commitment, so consulting a solicitor is recommended.
* FIND A GUARANTOR - Someone who can provide additional security if there's a deposit shortfall. Beware, though, guarantors are also liable for repayment defaults.