A SNAPSHOT OF THE AUSTRALIAN DEFENCE FORCE:
* The force comprises 92,666 personnel with 58,476 permanent ADF members, 17,328 reservists and 16,862 pubic service employees.
* The size of the permanent force has remained basically static, falling by just 291 since 2011.
* The army remains the largest permanent force with 29,968 compared to 14,369 in the air force and 14,139 in the navy.
* Woman make up 18.1 per cent of the permanent force and 17.2 per cent of reservists.
* Indigenous Australians account for 3.7 per cent of the permanent ADF and 2.6 per cent in the reserves.
* Of the permanent ADF, 66 per cent are married or in a relationship, while that rises to 74 per cent in the reserves.
* In the permanent ADF, 31 per cent have served for between one and five years, compared to 46 per cent of reservists.
* 23,050 permanent ADF members were deployed, either nationally or internationally since the last census in 2015 with 22 per cent deployed within the past 12 months.
Source: Defence Census 2019