A teenager who attacked and robbed a US surgeon during the Australian Open after he was freed from custody over an earlier carjacking could soon be released on bail.
The 17-year-old, who cannot be named because of his age, has pleaded guilty over the January assault of surgeon Edmund Pribitkin as he and his son walked through Queen Victoria Gardens.
The teen is due to return to a children's court on Friday.
At a hearing on May 11, a magistrate said she wanted to hear from youth justice workers before deciding whether to bail the teen as he awaits sentencing.
The youth is due to be sentenced in August on charges of intentionally causing injury, robbery and affray over the attack which left Dr Pribitkin in an induced coma.
Dr Pritbitkin required eight metal plates to be inserted in his face following the January 17 mugging, while his son, Edik, suffered a concussion and a broken nose.
Months before he attacked Dr Pribitkin, the boy was released from custody on a 12-month youth supervision order over a carjacking in Springvale.
In that incident, a 59-year-old man was dragged from his car and kicked repeatedly in the head on July 9 last year.
Police alleged the teenager - who was 16 at the time - and two other youths had discussed a plan to ask the man for a cigarette before attacking him.
Dr Pritbikin was also attacked after a gang of youths asked him for a cigarette.
The man in the earlier incident told police his head was stomped on before his attackers drove away in his car.
The teen was later arrested and a children's court subsequently refused him bail, prompting him to take his bid for freedom to the Victorian Supreme Court.
Justice Lex Lasry released him on bail but warned the teenager to stay out of trouble.
But a week later he revoked the teen's bail after he breached his conditions by hanging out with his carjacking accomplices, ignoring his curfew, and wagging school.
Ten days later a children's court released the boy on a youth supervision order, which he breached by attacking Dr Pribitkin in January.