A three-month-old baby has died in hospital, taking the death toll to five after a man on the run drove into Melbourne's Friday lunchtime crowds.
Police confirmed the boy's death late on Saturday night after Victorian Police Commissioner Graham Ashton warned earlier in the day the toll could rise as five people remained on the critical list at that stage.
A 10-year-old girl, 25-year-old man and a woman, 32, died at the scene after the car driver sped along Bourke Street Mall and a 33-year-old man died in hospital on Friday night.
Police said on Saturday night that 37 other people injured in the incident have been treated in hospital and confirmed that four remained critical.
Among those reported to be hospital are the mother and sister of the 10-year-old girl, who died.
Community members have been left shocked by the young girl's death, and have banded together to donate funds to the family.
Avi Yemini has set up a crowdfunding campaign and $4666 has already been raised.
"This is a family like any of ours," Yemini said.
"The public space where they were so terrorised, is a space which belongs to every single one of us.
"We are all devastated by what has happened."
The accused driver, Dimitrious "Jimmy" Gargasoulas, 26, was known to police and had been driving erratically round Melbourne after allegedly stabbing his brother that morning.
He was eventually stopped on Bourke Street when police shot him in the arm.
He is expected to be charged later this weekend following surgery on Saturday.
Police said on Saturday night he remains under police guard in hospital and is yet to be interviewed.
One person has been killed, 20 others are being treated for injuries. Picture: 7 News
The accused mother, Emily Gargasoulas, told reporters on Saturday she felt sick her son was involved.
"I'm ashamed, I'm ashamed to be his mum," Ms Gargasoulas said.
'I couldn't believe it... it make me feel sick."
The Victorian State Coroner Sara Hinchey said a coronial investigation will begin immediately.
She will examine the entire event, including police endeavours to catch the man, the role of the justice system in previous dealings with him and issues around his alleged mental health and drug abuse.
Premier Daniel Andrews says she will be given any additional resources she needs and the government would make whatever changes were necessary.
Mr Gargasoulas was spotted on camera on Friday morning behind a journalist doing a news report about the stabbing.
He was charged with assault on January 14 and released on bail despite police opposition. He had been due to appear back in court on Friday.
Mr Ashton defended the police pursuit of the man after the stabbing, including a decision to call it off when the man was driving erratically.
"From my perspective, all decisions the officers made were in the interests of trying to protect community safety,'' he said.
Police were quick to reassure the public that the attack was not terror-related, and encouraged people to come to the city undeterred.
Many did come to pay their respects on Bourke Street, where a floral tribute was building.
One of those who came along was first responder Sharon Carpenter who rushed to help those injured outside her workplace.
"I didn't want to sit around the house," she said.
"I wanted to come today and put some flowers down."