At least 75 wounded in Egypt mosque attack: ministry official

At least 75 wounded in Egypt mosque attack: ministry official

At least 75 wounded in Egypt mosque attack: ministry official

Cairo (AFP) - Gunmen attacked a packed mosque in Egypt's restive North Sinai province on Friday and set off a bomb, wounding at least 75 people, health and police officials said.

Health ministry spokesman Khaled Megahed told AFP at least 75 people were wounded in the attack and no deaths had been reported yet.

The Islamic State group's Egypt branch has killed hundreds of policemen and soldiers, and also civilians accused of working with the authorities, in attacks in the north of the Sinai peninsula.

They have also targeted followers of the mystical Sufi branch of Sunni Islam as well as Christians.

Friday's attack took place roughly 40 kilometres west of the provincial capital of El-Arish during weekly prayers, police officials said.

The officials said a bomb went off at the mosque during prayers then gunmen opened fire.

The victims included civilians and conscripts praying at the mosque.