Assault-accused Melbourne doctor in court

·1-min read

A Melbourne doctor accused of inappropriately touching patients during medical appointments will fight the charges in court.

Ahmed Kamil Mohamed Cassim, 48, appeared at Heidelberg Magistrates Court on Tuesday, facing six charges of sexual assault involving four patients and another person.

Police allege the assaults occurred at medical clinics in Whittlesea and South Morang between June and September last year.

His lawyer Diana Price said the patients were alleging "inappropriate touching" while Cassim was providing medical services.

"The allegations against Dr Mohamed Cassim are sufficiently well understood for me to be able to say to the court it is contested and will require a contested hearing," she said.

At least 11 witnesses, including the patients and a forensic medical officer, would give evidence at the hearing, Ms Price said.

She also requested medical records for three of the four patients.

Magistrate Helen Murphy set aside seven days for the hearing from September 5, 2022.

Cassim will next face court on March 3.

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting