'Total disgrace': Most shameful moment in Steve Smith drama revealed

The prestigious Marylebone Cricket Club ejected one of its own members from Lord's on Saturday after he hurled verbal abuse at Steve Smith in the famed Long Room of the pavilion.

The incident occurred when Smith was walking from the field after making a brave 92 having returned to the middle after a 40-minute break after being hit in the neck by Jofra Archer.

EXTRAORDINARY: First-ever concussion sub rescues Aussies in dramatic draw

According to a report by The Cricketer, the unidentified member called Smith a "cheat and a disgrace" as he made his way back to the Australia dressing room.

It is believed to be the first time a member has been thrown out of the Lord's pavilion as a result of misconduct.

Steve Smith was abused as he walked through the Long Room at Lord's. Image: Channel Nine

Prospective MCC members must sit on an 18-year waiting list to join and at the club's AGM earlier this year a code of conduct was introduced to stamp out poor behaviour.

Although there was generally warm applause for Smith after he was dismissed by Chris Woakes on Saturday, there were a smattering of boos around the ground.

Smith, who has been ruled out of the Lord's Test due to concussion and David Warner have been booed by crowds ever since arriving in England in May ahead of the Cricket World Cup.

Steve Smith was struck on the neck. (Photo by Jed Leicester/Getty Images)

It follows their return to cricket from their year-long bans following the ball tampering incident in South Africa.

The boos from the crowd were roundly condemned by commentators including Shane Warne, Michael Vaughan, Mark Taylor and Ian Healy, the latter labelling it ‘disgusting’.

The Australian Cricketers Association also issued a statement on Sunday criticising the jeering from the crowd.

Steve Smith in doubt for third Test

A concussed Smith remains in immense doubt for the third Ashes Test but the groggy batsman hasn't given up hope of a miraculous recovery yet.

Smith sat out day five of the second Test, while he will soon undergo a precautionary neck scan.

Marnus Labuschagne replaced Smith in Australia's XI in what is the first concussion substitution in international cricket, as per a recent rule change.

The third Test starts in Leeds on Thursday, leaving Smith with little time to prove he has recovered from the nasty head knock.

"It's obviously a quick turnaround between Test matches," Smith said.

"I'm hopeful I'll be available for that Test match but it's certainly up to the medical staff.

"Concussion is an area of concern and I want to be 100 per cent fit."

Steve Smith copped some awful treatment from the Lord's crowd. (Photo by Jed Leicester/Getty Images)

The former skipper slept well on Saturday night but woke with a headache and has also felt dizzy, drowsy and groggy.

Sunday morning's CogSport exam, a computer-program that tests an athlete's reaction time, attention and memory then compares data with previous baseline results, was another red flag for the 30-year-old.

Cricket Australia's concussion and head trauma policy does not dictate the gifted batsman must sit out a specific period of time beyond the initial 24-hour period.

However, it is hard to envisage how the superstar will be able to complete a gradual return to physical activity to a point where he is passed fit for the next match.

Team doctor Richard Saw, who conducted Smith's concussion tests throughout the weekend, will regularly assess Smith this week.

Australia's decision to let Smith bat on day four after being hit will now be heavily scrutinised.

It is not unusual for concussion symptoms to appear 24-48 hours after a head knock.

"I passed all the tests and felt fine ... we were all happy," Smith said.