'Can't believe it': Australia reacts to 'disgraceful' Ashes call

Aussie cricket fans are heavily divided after Mitchell Marsh was drafted back into Australia’s Ashes side at the expense of vice-captain Travis Head.

The final Ashes Test is serving as the latest chapter in Marsh's stop-start career, but social media trolls are already outraged and he is yet to deliver or face a ball.

SUPERSTAR: Megan Schutt makes cricket history with incredible world record

‘IT’S A LAUGH’: Peter Siddle fires back at Steve Harmison

The allrounder's elevation at the expense of Head is primarily because selectors want to ensure Australia's fast bowlers are given some respite in the Oval series finale.

However Head is Australia’s leading run-scorer since the Cape Town ball-tampering saga and averages 42 in 12 career Tests.

Marsh’s selection is a chance to stand up and show the improvements he's made since last year's Boxing Day Test, when he last donned the baggy green.

Mitch Marsh and Travis Head look on during an Australia net session at The Oval. (Photo by Ryan Pierse/Getty Images)

He was appointed vice-captain prior to the home summer of 2018-19 but things then went from bad to worse in a period he dubbed "the most challenging eight months of my life".

The 27-year-old was axed from the Test side, suffered severe bleeding after a blow to the box at training, then was overlooked for the World Cup squad and lost his Cricket Australia contract.

"He got some pretty honest feedback when he was dropped," Tim Paine said.

"About where he was at both physically and with his cricket.

"He had a choice to make. Either to sulk about it or to do something about it ... Mitch at the moment is as fit as we've seen him. He's worked his backside off.

"Certainly when he's fitter, his bowling goes to another level. Obviously if you're a boy the size he is, it's hard to run in all day when you're carrying a few extra kilos."

Mitch Marsh couldn't be happier. (Photo by Ryan Pierse/Getty Images)

Paine’s ‘really tough call’ on Head

Selectors are yet to make a call on whether Pat Cummins or Josh Hazlewood will be rested from the series finale, which starts on Thursday.

Peter Siddle, who played the first two Tests, has been retained in a 12-man squad and could be recalled in place of the world's top-ranked bowler Cummins or an in-form Hazlewood.

Regardless of the attack, Justin Langer and chairman of selectors Trevor Hohns want to ensure their fast bowlers aren't worked into the ground in London.

"It was a really tough call on Travis Head ... we felt like we needed some extra bowling," Paine said.

"(Need) to look after our big fast bowlers.

Justin Langer speaks to Travis Head during a training session. (Photo by Ryan Pierse/Getty Images)

"It's not necessarily Travis being dropped. We've been really clear with Travis on why he isn't playing this game.

"We had to make a really tough call on someone and it happened to be Travis."

Head helped Australia salvage a draw at Lord's but has since logged scores of 0, 25, 19 and 12.

Paine insisted the South Australian remained "a big part of our future", however fans and pundits are gobsmacked that he was the man made to make way for Marsh.

Some went as far as to label Head’s axing ‘disgraceful’, while others could see the rationale.

Australia's 12-man squad for fifth Test:

David Warner, Marcus Harris, Marnus Labuschagne, Steve Smith, Mitch Marsh, Matthew Wade, Tim Paine (capt), Pat Cummins, Mitchell Starc, Peter Siddle, Nathan Lyon, Josh Hazlewood.

with AAP