An aromatherapy spray has been recalled after it was linked to two deaths.
US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said bacteria Burkholderia pseudomallei has been found in Better Homes & Gardens Lavender & Chamomile Essential Oil Infused Aromatherapy Room Spray with Gemstones.
The discovery came after a Georgia resident became ill with melioidosis in late July. The spray was found in their home on October 6.
Melioidosis can lead to pneumonia, abscesses and dangerously low blood pressure leading to death. Person to person spread is rare though.
The bacteria, matching that found in the spray, was found in four patients in Georgia, Kansas, Texas, and Minnesota. Two of the people, including a child, died, the CDC said.
The Better Homes & Gardens spray was sold in 55 Walmart stores and on Walmart’s website between February and October 21. Walmart has pulled it from shelves along with related products.
The CDC is now advising people to stop using the spray and place it in zip-locked bags and a cardboard box and return to Walmart.
It is also asking people to wipe down any surfaces which may have been exposed to the spray and to wash any sheets. Anyone with feverish symptoms in the past 21 days is being encouraged to speak with a doctor.
Inger Damon, MD, MPH, director of CDC’s Division of High-Consequence Pathogens and Pathology, said scientists have “worked tirelessly” to find the source of the bacteria.
“Our hearts go out to the families that have been impacted by this situation,” Dr Damon said.
“We at CDC have been very concerned to see these serious related illness spread across time and geography.
“That is why our scientists have continued to work tirelessly to try to find the potential source for the melioidosis infections in these patients. We hope this work can help protect other people who may have used this spray.”
Do you have a story tip? Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.