A man charged with murdering Mohammed Haddara in Melbourne seven years ago blames the shooting on a person previously acquitted of the crime.
Mr Haddara, a member of a well-known crime family, was shot dead outside his parents' home in Altona North on the night of June 20, 2009. He was 28.
A 36-year-old man was charged with one count of murder in June.
The Brooklyn man, who cannot be named, appeared in the Melbourne Magistrates Court on Thursday and his matter was set down for committal hearing next year.
Among the 13 witnesses listed to testify is Ahmed Hablas, who was tried and acquitted for Mr Haddara's murder in 2011.
Mark Gumbleton, barrister for the newly charged man, said defence would cross-examine Mr Hablas "extensively" when the hearing happens in April.
Defence will argue Mr Hablas is responsible for the killing, not their client, the court heard.
"The correct shooter, we say, is Mr Hablas," Mr Gumbleton said.
During his trial, Mr Hablas claimed he falsely confessed to Mr Haddara's murder because he was protecting the man now charged with the crime, the court heard.
Two undercover police operatives will also give evidence via video link during the five-day hearing from April 4 next year.
The accused man has been remanded in custody.