One of the men accused of brutally raping a young woman in a South Brisbane laneway more than five years ago has been granted bail.
The 24-year-old man and another 32-year-old man were arrested in December last year for allegedly attacking the victim late one night in April 2011 while she was walking to the bus stop.
The Brisbane Supreme Court heard on Tuesday the 20-year-old woman was a virgin and suffered significant physical injuries during the alleged prolonged and aggressive assault.
Prosecutor Phil McCarthy said the younger man later told others he'd had a "threesome with a girl in the park".
Mr McCarthy said the man claimed the woman had been "promiscuous" and was coming onto him that night but forensic evidence and witnesses suggested otherwise.
He said the man was now "terrified" of the consequences of the alleged incident, which would likely result in a lengthy jail sentence if convicted.
"This is a strong case, it's not simply a young woman's word against his," Mr McCarthy said.
Despite this, Justice David Boddice granted the man bail on strict conditions including having to live at his mother's house under curfew and his parents providing $100,000 surety.
Justice Boddice said while the brutal attack on a woman without any regard for her welfare or dignity was serious, the man had no prior criminal history and was not a flight risk.
The court heard the man had gone to northern NSW shortly after the alleged incident. But it was unlikely an attempt to avoid detection from high-profile media coverage that included ID sketches as he often visited family friends there.
"He did not go to Alaska," Justice Boddice said.
Justice Boddice also noted the man had sought out a solicitor in December when he knew police were looking for him but was arrested before he could come forward himself.
The man's case will return to Brisbane Magistrates Court on April 3 while his co-accused, who remains in custody, will appear later that month.