- Oops!Something went wrong.Please try again later.
A pet owner has warned others about an Aldi toy her dog ripped apart in minutes after the stitching on the cheap item “gave way”.
The toy could have ended up costing the owner of ambitious Silkie cross Jack Russell Odi more than the $5 charged by the supermarket, as the ripped out stuffing caused him to momentarily choke.
His owner, from Sydney, also said she lost the squeaker that came inside the toy after Odi ripped it apart, leaving her to question if her four-legged bestie had swallowed it.
“Just a warning, $5 not well spent. Bought Odi a dog toy from Aldi and this is after one hour,” she wrote in a post to a Facebook group with a photo of her pet sitting next to the wrecked toy.
“Heard him choking on stuffing just can’t find the squeaker. Think he knows is in trouble.”
After hundreds of people commented blaming her for potentially putting her pet in harm’s way, the woman explained she bought the toy knowing it would likely be ruined quickly.
“I knew the toy wouldn’t last long but was surprised stitching gave way so fast. I posted mainly as a warning to anyone who bought one, especially recent new puppy parents,” she wrote in a comment.
She added that since sharing the post, she had found the squeaker in the backyard and was confident Odi had not ingested any stuffing as he had eaten his dinner without any further issues.
He also was not in trouble as her initial post had suggested, but simply appeared guilty in the photo she shared because of the way his ears had folded backwards.
Many people shared how their animals were particularly reckless with stuffed toys as well, some even saying their dogs had ripped apart the very same Aldi toy.
“I bought the exact same one today. (It lasted a) total of three minutes,” one person wrote.
Others shared images of stuffed toys that had been destroyed by their dogs, with some saying it was worth it because of the joy the damaging act brought to their pets.
An Aldi spokesperson told Yahoo News Australia the incident appeared to be a once-off.
“We can confirm that this is an isolated incident with no other reports to our Customer Service Department regarding a similar issue,” they said in a statement.
“We encourage the customer to contact our Customer Service Department so we can investigate further.”
Do you have a story tip? Email: email@example.com.