Aldi issues urgent recall of popular item over allergy fears

  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
·2-min read
In this article:
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.

An ice cream which was sold at Aldi in several locations across Australia is being recalled due to allergy fears.

Aldi has issued a recall for its one-litre tubs of Indulge Butterscotch Pear Gourmet Ice Cream due to the presence of the undeclared allergen, peanut.

The issue arose after incorrect packaging was used.

According to the recall notice issued by Food Standards Australia and New Zealand, the best-before date on the affected products is 09/05/2023.

Pictured is a tub of Aldi's Indulge Butterscotch Pear ice cream.
Aldi is recalling the Indulge Butterscotch Pear ice cream. Source: Food Standards Australia and New Zealand

The ice cream had been sold at Aldi stores in NSW, Queensland and the ACT.

"Any consumers who have a peanut allergy or intolerance may have a reaction if the product is consumed," the notice said.

"Consumers who have a peanut allergy or intolerance should not consume this product and should return the product to any ALDI store for a full refund."

An Aldi supermarket sign is seen in Canberra, Wednesday, April 10, 2013.
The ice cream had been sold at Aldi stores in Queensland, NSW and the ACT. Source: AAP Image

Peanuts most common food allergy in childhood

On Aldi's website, it says the company has "stringent standards" in place and has ongoing independent quality testing.

"On rare occasions, questions regarding a product's quality, safety or errors in packaging or shipment do arise in the retail world," the supermarket giant said.

Aldi says any product that does not meet either the government's or the company's standards will be removed from sale.

According to Queensland Health, peanut allergies are one of the most common food allergies in childhood.

In Australia, three in 100 children have a peanut allergy and in some people, even a tiny amount of peanuts – whether they are touched, breathed in or eaten – can cause a life-threatening reaction.

Do you have a story tip? Email: newsroomau@yahoonews.com.

You can also follow us on Facebook, Instagram, TikTok and Twitter and download the Yahoo News app from the App Store or Google Play.

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting