AFL club Geelong under strict WA protocols

·3-min read

Geelong players and staff have been placed under strict protocols in Perth and must return negative COVID-19 tests before being cleared to take on Fremantle in Thursday night's AFL clash.

The Cats were due to be met by Western Australia police on arrival in Perth on Wednesday and be taken immediately for testing.

The move came after WA upgraded Victoria from "very low risk" to "low risk" - meaning all arrivals in the state from Victoria must be tested and quarantine for 14 days as a result of the growing coronavirus cluster in Melbourne.

Geelong will be allowed to circumvent those rules and play against Fremantle by adhering to protocols outlined by the WA state government, which will still allow fans to attend the Optus Stadium fixture.

"We've worked very closely with the AFL," WA police chief Chris Dawson said.

"The Geelong players and officials will go straight from the airport into a secure quarantine arrangement at their hotel.

"They will then be transported in a secure way to Optus (Stadium).

"They will be under very strict quarantine arrangements, as will all other officials travelling with them."

Fremantle players will be subject to further tests after the game but are unlikely to have to isolate at this stage.

The seven additional locally acquired coronavirus cases recorded in Victoria on Wednesday have cast some doubt over what the coming rounds will look like for the AFL.

The league on Tuesday confirmed its schedule for rounds 19 and 20, but chief executive Gillon McLachlan on Wednesday said it will monitor the evolving situation closely.

McLachlan expects there will be no change to crowd limits in Melbourne - currently set at 75 per cent of a stadium's capacity, with a cap of 40,000 - for round 18.

But the league is braced for that to change.

"We're going to the football this weekend as it stands today (and) we'll deal with whatever changes come," McLachlan said.

"That's what we've been doing for 18 months."

McLachlan said he had no knowledge of any Victorian-based players or staff being connected to the growing list of coronavirus exposure sites in Melbourne.

The list includes the MCG, where Level 2 of the MCC Members' Reserve had been listed as a tier-two exposure site after one of the seven new positive cases attended last Saturday's Carlton-Geelong match.

About 2000 fans have been asked to get tested and isolate until they receive a negative test, while anyone else who attended the game has been asked to monitor for symptoms.

Almost 32,000 fans were at the MCG.

Meanwhile, McLachlan is confident the league will be able to come to an arrangement with state governments that will see families of Sydney and GWS players and staff join them in Victoria.

The Swans and Giants have been based in Melbourne for more than three weeks because of Sydney's COVID-19 woes and both clubs have conceded it is likely they will remain on the road for the rest of the season.

In conjunction with the AFL, they have been working to find a way to reunite players and staff with families from Sydney.

McLachlan said the league had been involved in "productive conversations" with the Victoria, Queensland and Northern Territory governments to sort out quarantine and travel arrangements amid a raft of interstate restrictions.

"There are two clubs whose families are now our priority," McLachlan said.

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting