Jesse Hogan has been charged by police and ordered to undergo hotel quarantine after an unauthorised visit from a “female friend”.
The Fremantle Dockers star was undergoing his quarantine period at home in Perth after arriving back from the Gold Coast when police paid him a visit.
‘HOW GOOD’: Footy fans flip out over 'insane' photo
‘SIGNIFICANT’: Alleged drugs scandal rocks Adelaide Crows
The Dockers failed to make the AFL finals, meaning players were free to leave the league’s biosecurity bubble in Queensland.
Police visited Hogan at his home on Tuesday night in accordance with the West Australian Government’s quarantine monitoring procedures.
The 25-year-old informed police he had a female visitor at the home on the 22nd of September, which is a breach of the state’s Quarantine Directions Orders.
Jesse Hogan has confirmed to police that he had a female visitor attend his home last Tuesday and enter the premises, in breach of the WA Government’s Quarantine Directions Orders. #foreverfreo— Fremantle Dockers (@freodockers) September 30, 2020
WA Police issued a statement saying Hogan had been charged with breaching self-quarantine requirements.
“The man returned to WA on 21 September 2020 and was required under the Emergency Management Act, 2005, to self-quarantine at his home for 14 days, expiring midnight 5 October 2020,” a police statement said.
“It is alleged on 22 September 2020, he breached those requirements when he allowed a woman to enter his home on two occasions.”
Dockers disappointed by Hogan’s actions
Hogan must now complete the rest of his 14-day quarantine in a hotel.
“Our players and staff are all well aware of the restrictions they are all required to comply with while in quarantine and the broader obligation the club has to the community to do so,” Fremantle CEO Simon Garlick said in a statement.
“We have worked very closely and effectively with WA police, the State Government and the AFL throughout the year, which provided us with the opportunity to complete our AFL season.
“The co-operation and understanding we have received from all parties during the season is something we do not take for granted.
“This makes the breach even more disappointing and incredibly frustrating.
“We will wait for Jesse to complete his hotel quarantine before determining what club-imposed sanction he will face.
“In the meantime, we will be reinforcing with all quarantined players and staff the importance of strict adherence to their quarantine protocols.”
Fremantle coach keen to keep Jesse Hogan
Just last week Fremantle coach Justin Longmuir said he is keen to retain Hogan and veteran David Mundy at the AFL club for next season.
Hogan has one year remaining on his Fremantle contract, but his long stint out of the side earlier this season sparked talk he could seek a trade.
The former Demon had fallen so far out of favour at one point that he was being trained up as a defender.
Hogan returned to the side for the final four rounds and showed his value with a four-goal haul in the club's 64-point demolition of North Melbourne in round 17.
Mundy is out of contract, but the 35-year-old’s hot form this season is set to earn him a new one-year deal.
Longmuir, who led the Dockers to a 7-10 record and a 12th-placed finish in his first year in charge, wants both Hogan and Mundy to stay.
“Jesse's contracted for next year and Dave we want him to go around again,” Longmuir said.
“So we've just got to work through that negotiation and make sure both parties are happy with where it settles.
“He (Mundy) has proven this year that he's got some good footy in him still, and what he brings off the field is just as important. So we'd like to keep him around.”
Click here to sign up to our newsletter for all the latest and breaking stories from Australia and around the world.