Actor faces jail over SA ear-biting attack

Tim Dornin

South Australian actor, artist and musician Bruce Roland Carter will be sentenced next week after attacking a man while high on drugs, almost biting off one of his victim's ears.

Carter has pleaded guilty over the unprovoked attack in 2017 which came as a good Samaritan came to his aid when his car became bogged.

In sentencing submissions in the District Court on Tuesday, prosecutor Jacqueline Fong said the attack involved the 36-year-old punching his victim, knocking him to the ground and biting both his ears, with one almost severed.

Ms Fong said Carter, who is best known for his 2015 appearance in the feature film Last Cab to Darwin and for a role in the television series remake of Picnic at Hanging Rock, had a history of violence and last year's incident involved an escalation in his offending.

She said the victim used "all his energy and might to run for his life" and, as well as the damage to his ears, suffered scratches and bruising all over his body.

Defence counsel Mike Norman said Carter's remorse was "very, very real" and was evident during a recent Aboriginal sentencing hearing.

"He clearly listened, he clearly took great note of the harm he has caused," he said.

In a period before the attack, Carter had been taking drugs and had "hit the grog big time".

"He hit an amazing cocktail of drugs.....anything he could get his hands on," Mr Norman said.

Judge Simon Stretton said the unprovoked nature of Carter's attack was consistent with methamphetamine abuse and, in this case, his drug taking had "wrecked two lives".

Carter pleaded guilty to one count of intentionally causing serious harm and one count of aggravated assault and will be sentenced on August 14.