ACT acquires first coronavirus case in more than a month

The nation's capital has recorded its first case of COVID-19 in more than a month.

A man aged in his 40s, who recently returned from overseas, was the ACT's first confirmed virus case since May 4, ACT Health said in a statement on Sunday.

"He has been in quarantine since his arrival from overseas," it said.

"A small number of close contacts have been identified and, in accordance with the national guidelines, are in quarantine."

This brings the ACT's total confirmed cases to 108. The territory has suffered three deaths.

Chief Health Officer Kerryn Coleman is confident there has been no risk to the broader ACT community.

The individual (not pictured) had returned from overseas and had been quarantined since his arrival. Source: AAP

"The case is, however, a good reminder of the ongoing pandemic and the need for our community to continue to observe physical distancing and hygiene measures, and for people to stay home if they are unwell," Dr Coleman said in the statement.

"We expect that as restrictions are lifted and the movement of people around Australia increases, it is likely that cases will continue to be diagnosed around Australia, including in the ACT. "

The result of nationwide Black Lives Matter protests over the weekend could take more than a week to be reflected in numbers of coronavirus cases, authorities say.

Tens of thousands of people have rallied across Australia in support of the Black Lives Matter movement and to protest Aboriginal deaths in custody, defying calls from health officials and the prime minister to stay home amid the coronavirus pandemic.

Passengers arrive at East Hotel after disembarking their flight from Delhi to Canberra last month. Source: Getty

Large protests swept Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane and Adelaide and some regional towns on Saturday in solidarity with the BLM movement and African-American George Floyd, who died while he was being arrested in Minneapolis.

The Australian protests also showed support for the Aboriginal community and highlighted the high levels of indigenous incarceration and deaths in custody.

Thousands of people, many wearing masks, were already gathered in front of Sydney's Town Hall on Saturday when the NSW Court of Appeal declared the Stop All Black Deaths in Custody rally an authorised public assembly.

Do you have a story tip? Email: newsroomau@yahoonews.com.

You can also follow us on FacebookInstagram and Twitter and download the Yahoo News app from the App Store or Google Play.