Accused NSW hit-and-run driver denied bail

Greta Stonehouse
·2-min read

The unlicensed driver who allegedly rammed into five people and killed two children in the NSW central west has had his bail application refused.

Magistrate Theresa Hamilton denied Jacob Donn bail in the Dubbo Local Court on Tuesday due to unacceptable risk factors including failing to reappear at court, endangering the safety of the community and possibly interfering with witnesses or evidence.

The 25-year-old never held a driver's licence and was in possession of drugs at the time of the crash before running from the scene, police allege.

He faces 14 charges including dangerous driving occasioning death, driving without a licence, failing to stop and assist and possessing prohibited drugs.

The group were struck by a car at high speed in the afternoon on January 5 while walking home from the local swimming pool in Wellington.

A 10-year-old boy was taken to a Sydney hospital, while another boy aged nine suffered minor injuries but has since been released.

Shayleen Frail who lost her sons, aged six and seven, remains in ICU at Westmead Hospital following surgery on her left knee, a GoFundMe page read.

A breathing tube had earlier been removed.

"Shay knows the hardest part is yet to come but knows she has the love and support of her family, friends, community and even strangers," it said.

"Hopefully she will be transferred back to Dubbo Base Hospital soon."

The GoFundMe page has so far raised more than $33,000 and is one of several set up to financially assist the mother and father following the tragic crash.

The "totally shattered and heartbroken" father of the dead boys, Joseph Shorey, was overcome by grief when he visited the scene of the crash a day later.

"It's like a nightmare, I can't believe it to be honest," he said.

"I'm burying two kids, I wouldn't wish that upon anyone."

Donn is due back in Dubbo Local Court on March 10, 2021.