An accused rapist will stand trial charged with sexually assaulting a woman after breaking into her Melbourne home nearly 25 years ago.
Samuel Beattie allegedly broke into the St Albans home in July 1996 while the woman, then aged 39, yelled "please don't hurt me".
Beattie is accused of telling the woman he wouldn't hurt her if she kept quiet.
"My name is John, I just want to make love to you," Beattie allegedly said.
He was arrested at Mount Macedon in October 2020, and charged with one count of aggravated burglary and two counts of rape.
He pleaded not guilty to all charges in Melbourne Magistrates Court on Friday and was committed to stand trial in Victoria's County Court.
Detective Senior Constable Anthony Murphy said Beattie was taken to the address of his alleged victim following the arrest and spoke with police.
The court was previously told the woman, a mother of three, died in 2006 from cancer.
Beattie remains on bail, cannot leave Victoria and must comply with a curfew.
He's also required to abstain from alcohol and undergo treatment for substance abuse issues.
He is due back in court on July 2 for a directions hearing.