Despite claiming he was only an accomplice in an alleged kidnapping aimed at forcing the end of a couple's relationship in Sydney's west, a Victorian man has been denied bail.
Magistrate Katherine Thompson rejected a bail bid on Friday by Abud Elkerdi, 36, who has been charged with three others over a kidnapping police say involved "corporal violence" in Guildford on Wednesday morning.
"I am not satisfied that any bail conditions can presently mitigate the bail concerns as they presently stand," Ms Thompson said in Parramatta Local Court.
Elkerdi and his co-accused are alleged to have travelled from Victoria and forced their way into the self-contained unit of a 25-year-old man before assaulting and choking him, and then forcing him into the back of their BMW sedan.
The victim was allegedly driven to another property in Guildford where he was further assaulted and threatened with a sword.
According to court documents, the kidnappers assaulted the victim so he would end his relationship with a woman related to one of the accused.
Elkerdi's barrister Evan James conceded the prosecution had a strong case against his client who had been caught on CCTV but argued he was more of an "accomplice or an assistant" in the alleged plot.
"(Elkerdi) acts at the direction and instructions of the principal. He has no connection to the victim," he told the court.
"There's no suggestion that he will run away. He remained in the car when police stopped the car."
The actual injuries of the alleged victim were inconsistent with what had been claimed to be a severe and sustained beating over a lengthy period of time, Mr James said.
The barrister applied to have his client reside in home detention in Victoria, arguing he would be a long way from the alleged victim and could pose no threat to him.
However, the magistrate noted the alleged crime was serious, violent and involved a high level of premeditation.
With an inevitable jail sentence to be imposed if guilty, being allowed to live interstate would be a strong incentive for Elkerdi to skip court, she said.
Mr James also argued his client had been diagnosed with heart problems and diabetes as well as mental health conditions such as anxiety and depression, and that this required a "complex regime" of medication difficult to administer in prison.
Ms Thompson rejected these submissions however.
Also appearing in Parramatta on Friday, barrister Ben Barrack did not apply for bail for two other accused kidnappers, Safwan Hussein, 40, and Ali Hamad, 33.
A fourth man, Koder Faytrouni, 27, appeared in court on Thursday.
All four have been charged with taking and detaining a person in company with intent to obtain advantage and aggravated break and enter. They have yet to enter a plea.
The cases will next come before the courts on March 9.