AAP editor-in-chief to leave news agency

Australian Associated Press Editor-In-Chief, Tony Gillies, has announced he will finish with the news agency at the end of July.

He says he won't be part of the leadership team of the new AAP, when new owners take over the agency in August.

It had been announced in March that AAP would be shuttered after major shareholders News Corp Australia and Nine pulled out.

But weeks later, potential buyers emerged. A deal is expected to be signed soon with a consortium, fronted by former News Corp executive Peter Tonagh.

"For the 15 weeks since shareholders announced that AAP would close, we have worked tirelessly with prospective buyers to keep the newswire alive and save as many jobs as possible," he said in a note to staff on Thursday.

"As we are now just days away from that remarkable outcome, I should advise that I will not be joining the new venture and instead seek opportunities outside of Australian Associated Press."

Gillies said the new newswire service had his full support, but he did not believe the smaller agency could support a news executive at his level.

"As I reflect on my 16 years as your editor-in-chief, I feel nothing but pride for all we have achieved - news coverage to the highest standard, cutting edge projects, and the people we have attracted and developed,' he wrote.

"To the entire AAP family, this part of my life has been a privilege that will stay in my heart forever."

Gillies will remain until July 31.