View Comments

A 15-year-old boy has only hazy recollections of approaching two toddlers who were playing in their front yards, leading them from their homes and raping them in two separate incidents in Kununurra, the Perth Children's Court was told this morning.

Children's Court president Denis Reynolds today told the teenager an immediate term of detention was the only sentencing option after he pleaded guilty to two counts each of sexual penetration of a child under 13.

Prosecutor Carolyn Petroboni told the court that in the early hours of December 17, the teenager had approached a three-year-old boy playing in his yard sometime between 4.30am and 5am. He had led the victim about 50m from the home, where he raped him.

Ms Petroboni said in the following 30 minutes, he approached a three-year-old girl playing in her yard, led her 800m away and raped her also.

Defence counsel Matt Panayi told the court that the boy had been feeling "lost" after returning to Kununurra following four months detention in the Northern Territory.

Mr Panayi said while the boy was in detention other youths had discussed the type of offences he had committed and it was possible the behaviour in some way become normalised.

He said the teenager, who admitted the offences the day after they were committed, had been using cannabis and tried ecstasy for the first time on the night of the incident.

But he could not offer any explanation for his behaviour and had not felt any pervasive thoughts towards children either before or after the incident.

"The behaviour of (the boy) in committing these offences I would submit is somewhat inexplicable," Mr Panayi said.

Mr Reynolds today adjourned sentencing until later this month because he wanted at least on the offender's parents to be present.

The court was told that the boy's mother had fallen ill overnight, which had prevented the family from attending court today.