Cross-code football star Jarryd Hayne has refused to answer questions while firmly denying a rape allegation dating back to his time playing American football in the US.
Hayne, 29, returned to training with the Parramatta Eels on Wednesday where he faced the gathered media, but said he would not address the allegations that emerged last month.
His NRL club has said it was unaware of the allegations made in a civil suit against him during his NFL stint with the San Francisco 49ers in 2015 when Hayne signed on at the end of 2017.
Hayne told the media on Wednesday he wanted to let “justice take its course” and said his departure from the NFL had nothing to do with the allegations.
“I firmly deny the allegations. I think I’ve made that pretty clear through my lawyers,” he said.
“I don’t think you can describe the feeling but like I said you’ve just got to go through with it.”
In a civil suit, a woman, identified as Ms V, claims Hayne took her back to his San Jose home on December 21, 2015 and raped her when she was drunk.
She met some of Hayne's friends when working at a local restaurant and they all caught up after a 49ers game, documents lodged in a County of Santa Clara court state.
The suit paperwork says Ms V, "was unable to consent to sexual intercourse".
Last month, in a statement from Hayne’s solicitor Ramy Quatami said the complaint was not pursued any further by the District Attorney due to insufficient evidence.
Hayne said the past few weeks since the allegations emerged had been tough on his family but “they’re strong”.
���We’ll get through this,” he said.