WHAT NEXT FOR SAME-SEX MARRIAGE
* Liberal Dean Smith, on behalf of a group of cross-party senators, introduces a private bill to change the Marriage Act on Wednesday.
* Debate on the bill begins in the Senate on Thursday, taking precedence over all general business.
* Debate continues when the Senate resumes sitting on November 27, taking precedence over government business as well.
* Senators will be able to propose amendments to the bill.
* The Senate wants a final bill to pass by Thursday November 30, sending it to the House of Representatives for approval.
* The lower house could begin debating the bill by Monday December 4.
* MPs will be able to propose amendments to the bill.
* Any changes the lower house makes to the bill would need the approval of the Senate.
* Once the bill clears parliament, it requires the governor-general to give it royal assent.