Tragic last words of murdered MP Jo Cox revealed

The last words of murdered MP Jo Cox have been revealed for the first time by the assistant who held her dying boss in her arms after she was shot and stabbed.

Jo Cox had extensive career in aid work before becoming an MP in 2015.

The father of Cox's assistant - who was with the Labour MP when she was fatally attacked - has now revealed the tragic details of her final moments.

"She was with my daughter. They'd left Batley office, they were in the marketplace, she was in my daughter's car sitting in the back seat. The car stopped and Jo decided to come out," Gulham Maniyar, father of Fazila Aswat, told ITV News.

"She said [Jo's] injury was so bad and she was in her arms. There was lots of blood. She said 'Jo, get up' but [Jo] said 'no, my pain is too much, Fazila'. I think those were the last words Jo spoke."

Maniyar added: "She could not do anything else. She tried to comfort her. Then the police came, the air ambulance came, they took her to hospital. She was a witness and her clothes were full of blood."

-- Suspect charged with Cox's murder --

Police confirmed Saturday suspect Thomas Mair has been charged with murdering Jo Cox.

"We have now charged a man with murder," West Yorkshire Police's Detective Superintendent Nick Wallen said in a statement.

"Thomas Mair, 52, of Birstall, will appear at Westminster Magistrates Court today."

Police confirmed the MP was the victim of a 'targeted' killing.

-- Assistant tried to hit attacker --

A man is arrested shortly after the killings. He is believed to be local man Thomas Mair, who suffers from mental health issues. Photo: Sky News

Cox was shot three times, once in the head and was stabbed multiple times while being kicked in the head as she lay dying in a pool of her own blood.

There were reports that the attacker, 52-year-old Thomas Weir, shouted "Britain first" or "put Britain first" as he brutally attacked Cox in broad daylight.

Maniyar said his daughter tried to help her injured boss.

"She tried to hit [the attacker] with her handbag but he tried to go at her. People came so he followed them and he came back again and shot her again twice."

-- Attacker's extremist links --

Police believe right-wing extremism is an important line of inquiry after Weir, a man with suspected neo-Nazi links and a history of mental illness, was arrested over Cox's killing.

Britain First, a far-right nationalist group, denied any links with the suspect but a US civil rights group said he had been associated with a neo-Nazi organisation.

The group said he had bought reading material from the National Alliance, which advocated the creation of an all-white homeland and the eradication of Jewish people.

He had also purchased a handbook on how to make a gun. Witnesses told British media the assailant used a gun which appeared "old-fashioned" or "homemade".

Many commentators have questioned whether the killing could be linked to the EU vote, which has stoked tensions by touching on issues of national identity and immigration and has featured populist slogans.

However, the Weir's brother said he had not expressed strong political views.

"He has a history of mental illness but he has had help," his brother said.

"My brother is not violent and is not all that political. I don't even know who he votes for."

Cox was the first British MP to be murdered since Ian Gow was killed by Irish Republican Army paramilitaries in a car bomb in 1990.

Cox, whose first speech in parliament defended immigration and diversity, lived with her husband Brendan and their two children aged three and five, on a houseboat on the Thames near Tower Bridge.

Jo and Brendan Cox on their wedding day. Photo: Supplied

As the news of her death broke, Brendan issued an impassioned appeal for unity against hatred.

"She would have wanted two things above all else to happen now," he wrote.

"One, that our precious children are bathed in love and two, that we all unite to fight against the hatred that killed her."

Back To Top