'We're counting our lucky stars': Kiwi family escapes Istanbul terror attack

They came in the hope of enjoying Istanbul's sights in the relative peace of the low season, but now a New Zealand family has been left reeling after they narrowly avoided being caught up in a deadly blast.

The Satya family enjoying their time in Istanbul. Source: Nathaniel Satya, Facebook.

The Satya family enjoying their time in Istanbul. Source: Nathaniel Satya, Facebook.

"We are so lucky that the blast didn't happen earlier," Nathaniel Satya from Palmerston North told ONE News.

Ten foreigners, including nine Germans, were killed on Tuesday when a Syrian suicide bomber blew himself up in Sultanahmet Square, next to the world famous Ottoman Blue Mosque and Byzantine-era Hagia Sophia museum.

Mr Satya and his family were flying out of Turkey when the bomb went off.

He wrote on Facebook: "Praise God we are all fine. We flew out of Istanbul at 7am today."

The family snapped this photo at Hagia Sophia. Source: Facebook.

Mr Satya said they had been staying in a hotel for the last four days which was in the area of the bomb blast.

"We were walking past the explosion spot everyday so thank you Lord," he said in his post.

The family at the Blue Mosque in Istanbul, Turkey. Source: Facebook.

In another post, he said it was "very sad" and his "prayers are with those who have lost loved ones".

It's not the first time the Satya family has escaped tragedy during their four week holiday.

"The day we left Dubai there was a fire in a hotel nearby and the day we left Egypt there were shootings on tourists and now this.

"So we are counting our lucky stars," he told ONE News.

Meanwhile, Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoglu has blamed the attack on the Islamic State.

Deputy Prime Minister Numan Kurtulmus said the bomber was believed to have recently entered Turkey from Syria but was not on Turkey's watch list of suspected militants.

He said earlier that the bomber had been identified from body parts at the scene and was thought to be a Syrian born in 1988.

Davutoglu said he had spoken by phone with German Chancellor Angela Merkel to offer condolences and vowed Turkey's fight against Islamic State, at home and as part of the US-led coalition, would continue.

- With AAP

Back To Top
feedback