Child care worker charged with attempted rape of two-year-old

A Brisbane child care worker has been charged with the attempted rape of a two-year-old boy in his care.

Police say they also found child exploitation material at his home and has now raised questions about how the man was cleared to work with children.

A Brisbane child care worker has been charged with the attempted rape of a two-year-old boy in his care. Photo: 7 News

A family friend arrived early at the Durack child care centre to collect a young boy where he was found in a back room.

"She was confronted with a 20-year-old employee of the child care centre committing a sexual assault upon the two-year-old boy," Acting Superintendent Geoff Sheldon told reporters.

The worker was charged with attempted rape and deprivation of liberty.

Photo: 7 News

Police then searched his home where child exploitation material was found on the employee's computer.

The man had been working at the centre for around six months and Queensland Police are now investigating the possibility that what happened to the boy may have happened before.

The Public Safety Business Agency can't reveal if the man held a blue card but anyone working with children is required to have one in Queensland.

The Public Safety Business Agency can't reveal if the man held a blue card but anyone working with children is required to have one in Queensland. Photo: 7 News

A blue card is issued after a criminal history check and 600,000 have already been handed out.

"It's in a small number of cases where a person who has been issued with a blue card goes on then to be charged with quite concerning offences," Kate Deere told 7 News.

"There's rare instances of these offences occurring, one could point to the fact that perhaps the system is working," Acting Superintendent Sheldon said.

Child advocates say the government's checks aren't enough.

"We understand the limitations of a blue card because we can only ever know that someone's a threat to a child if they've already been caught," said Carol Ronken from child protection advocate Bravehearts

Child advocates say the government's checks aren't enough. Photo: 7 News

Bravehearts believes more responsibility should be placed on employers.

The Queensland government hasn't formally committed to a review.

News break – September 21


WHAT ELSE IS MAKING NEWS TODAY:

Back To Top
feedback