Woman induces labour early so dying husband can see their baby

The only family picture at the hospital shows Mark and Diane's four children by his bedside and newborn Savannah in his arms. Mark died days after Savannah's birth. Photo: ABC

Top clicked stories

A heavily pregnant woman has taken a moving decision that helped her dying husband see and hold their newborn.<br /><strong><a target="_blank" rel="nofollow" href="http://au.news.yahoo.com/year-in-review-2012/a/-/12878633/woman-induces-labour-early-so-dying-husband-can-see-baby" target="_blank">Read the full story</a></strong><br />

When a heavily pregnant Diane Aulger found out that her husband was suffering from a fatal lung disease and had less than a week to live, she took a life-transforming decision.

The 31-year-old from Texas, pregnant with her fifth child, got her labour induced two weeks before the due date so her dying husband Mark could see and hold their baby.

Mark had been told just before Christmas that he had beaten cancer. But on January 3, he was admitted to hospital, unable to breathe.

Doctors informed him that the eight months of chemotherapy he went through ravaged his lungs and he was diagnosed with pulmonary fibrosis.

The couple thought of restarting his steroids so he could live for years. However, on January 16 he was told he had just one week left, ABC News reported.

"We thought he could get on steroid treatment and oxygen and live for years," Aulger told ABC, "I really didn't believe the doctor. The next day his doctor came in and said, “When are you going to have this baby?""

The doctors and Diane decided to induce the pregnant mother and baby Savannah was born on January 18.

Diane recalls how her dying husband held their newborn for a very emotional 45 minutes. "Him and I just cried that whole time".

The next day, Mark slipped into a coma after a minute of holding the baby.

On January 23, he died in his hospital bed, with his wife and four children by his side and baby in his arms.

A picture of the family shows Mark hooked up to an oxygen mask on the day of Savannah’s birth, surrounded by his children and hospital equipment.

"He would talk to my stomach when I was pregnant,” Diane said, “He would have been a wonderful daddy to Savannah".

Back To Top