10 dead as attack on Kabul ministry ends

A militant attack on the Afghan Interior Ministry building in Kabul has ended, leaving 10 people dead including one policeman, an official says.

A ministry official said the militants were unable to penetrate the building and had fought security forces at the entrance.

Reza Kateb, the Director General of Planning and Policy at the Ministry, also confirmed the end of the attack on Twitter.

Three attackers blew themselves up, and seven others were killed by security forces, ministry spokesman Najib Danish said in an interview with Afghan news agency ToloNews.

The attack that lasted almost two hours also left five policemen wounded, Danish said.

Police have started defusing the explosive vests that were worn by the militants, he added.

The Interior Ministry moved to its current facility, located near Kabul's Hamid Karzai International Airport, last year. According to Mohammad Ajmal Faizi, a border police spokesman at the airport, all incoming and departing flights were put on hold.

Islamic State later claimed responsibility for the attack.

IS' semi-official Amaq news agency reported the claim, saying it was a suicide attack, without giving details.

Wednesday's assault marks the 10th large-scale attack in Kabul since the start of the year. The violence has killed 289 people and injured at least 481 others.