We're being warned cheap, inferior and potentially dangerous appliances are flooding in from overseas.
We buy them for the comfort, convenience and entertainment they provide but home appliances are the most common cause of house fires causing injury and death.
Electrical and gas appliances, heaters, irons, dishwashers, clothes dryers, power tools, lamps, power boards and even coffee grinders can blow up and set rooms alight.
Three-year-old Ava Lyons suffered serious burns when a portable DVD player exploded in her lap, travelling in the family car.More stories from Today Tonight
The internal battery overheated and set the product and Ava on fire. The DVD player, Model D6202, has been recalled by the retailer, Dick Smith.
The big danger is more and more of our products are being manufactured overseas and thousands of cheap Asian imports are flooding in illegally - multiplying the risk of home fires, electric shock, injury and death.
NSW Department of Fair Trading Engineer, Lynelle Collins says the internet abounds with electrical horrors, but safety inspectors regularly uncover illegal goods in markets, bargain basement outlets and retail stores.
To be safe, Today Tonight has been advised consumers should check for an Australian Certificate of Approval and a registration number before purchasing any electrical appliance.
Today Tonight reported Sunbeam had not had a product recall for 10 years. In fact, it has had two, one in 2004 and another in August 2012.Contact information
OUR SOCIAL SITES
Follow us on Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest