Incoming governor-general Peter Cosgrove has let slip that Prince George will travel to Australia with his parents William and Kate in April and the family will visit Sydney and Canberra.
The former defence chief met the Queen at Buckingham Palace on Wednesday ahead of officially becoming her representative in late March.
The two had a wide-ranging discussion about Australia and also the much-anticipated trip Down Under.
"That's going to be a very welcome visit," General Cosgrove told reporters afterwards.
"They'll bring with them Prince George the little one.
"They'll be in Sydney and then in Canberra after their sojourn in New Zealand."
Immediately asked if he'd inadvertently let slip that Prince George was definitely heading Down Under, the former defence chief back-pedalled somewhat.
"I hope he's coming," he said.
"I don't know - I'm not yet the governor-general.
"I think every Aussie who likes the idea of royal couples having their children with them on tour will hope that's the case, but let's wait and see."
In announcing the Australian and New Zealand tour in December, the palace said it was anticipated Prince George would accompany the Duke and Duchess "but a decision will be made in due course".
There was no legal requirement for General Cosgrove to meet the Queen before he assumes office, but the 66-year-old insisted it was "good manners".
He said current Governor-General Quentin Bryce would visit Her Majesty after she stood down to "pay her respects".
Wednesday's private audience with Her Majesty and Prince Philip was followed by lunch.
General Cosgrove said they were joined by a number of household dogs "who were very, very tame and affectionate".
Afterwards he wouldn't be drawn on whether Australia should one day become a republic, saying he was busy in East Timor during the 1999 referendum.
"I was only able to think about my position in the last few minutes before I went to the polling booth and I'm ashamed to say I can't quite remember what I voted," the military man said, adding the will of the Australian people would guide him in office.
General Cosgrove, who'll become the 26th governor-general when sworn in on March 28, has previously met the Queen to receive honours in 1985 and 2000.
He also hosted her at the Australian War Memorial in 2011.
A Kensington Palace spokesman, when asked about General Cosgrove's comments, later told AAP the program for the Duke and Duchess's tour would be announced by the royal household and the Australian and New Zealand governments "in due course".
It's expected an announcement will be made in the next fortnight.