The world's longest working soap star, William Roache, said there were "no winners" Thursday after he was cleared of a series of sex charges by a British court.
The 81-year-old, who has played Ken Barlow in the British soap Coronation Street since it was first broadcast in 1960, was found not guilty of two counts of rape and four counts of indecent assault.
"In these situations, there are no winners, and I think we should all be much kinder to ourselves," the actor said outside the court in Preston, north of Manchester.
"Now, if you will excuse me, I would like to get back to work."
Roache said when he was arrested in May that he was "astounded and deeply horrified" by the allegations.
The assaults were alleged to have taken place from 1965 to 1968 in the star's homes and car and in the toilets and dressing rooms at the studios where Coronation Street is filmed in Manchester. They involved five girls, then aged 11 to 16.
During the four-week trial, a fifth indecent assault charge was dropped after the woman told the court she had "no actual memory of the episode."
Roache, who was accused by the prosecution of using his fame to exploit "star-struck" girls, testified that he had never met any of the woman involved in the case and had no interest in underage girls.
Coronation Street colleagues called as character references were unanimous in their defence of Roache.
Anne Kirkbride, who plays his on-screen wife Deirdre Barlow, said he was a "perfect gentleman" and that he behaved "impeccably."
Another actress, Helen Worth, described him as a "father figure" and an "elder statesman" of the show.
Broadcaster ITV said it looked forward to "talking to Bill soon about his return to work."
Roache was the third Coronation Street actor within a year to be tried and acquitted of sex offences.
Michael Le Vell, who has played Kevin Webster for three decades, was cleared of a string of child sex abuse charges in September.
Months earlier, a jury also cleared Andrew Lancel, who used to play Frank Foster in the soap, of four counts of indecent assault against a 15-year-old boy.
A number of celebrities have been accused of sexual abuse in the wake of a scandal involving the late BBC presenter Jimmy Savile.
Hundreds of people came forward after Savile's death in 2011 to accuse him of sexually abusing them, causing police to launch a wide-reaching investigation into sexual abuse, Operation Yewtree.
Those charged as part of the investigation include Australian television presenter Rolf Harris, who last month pleaded not guilty to 12 indecent assaults.
Another veteran BBC presenter, Stuart Hall, was last year jailed for 30 months after being convicted of a series of sex offences against girls as young as 9.